Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Great day

Had a lecture this morning by a member of the UN for over 25 years. He was a great speaker and talked about the economy, culture, politics, development, along with the past, present, and future situations of Myanmar. Learned so much! Then we saw the white elephants of Myanmar. These are real elephants that are albino and are thought to give the owner power. Thailand use to own nine white elephants but then Myanmar fought for them and took them. So there was a war over elephants. Very surprising. So I figured these creatures would be treated well. But they were all chained in place and could bairly move. Very surprising and sad. But I'm glad I saw it so I can tell others. Maybe it'll change one day. I hope so. Then we had lunch where we ate the first day. Such good food and service and quantity for such a small price! Love it! Then we went to the market. It was very large but people sold basically the same thing: jewelry, paintings, cloth, clothes, carvings and food. I don't particularly enjoy shopping but rather enjoy markets for the people. I'm clearly a foreigner so many people try to sell me things. I love getting to know these people and learning their names and about their work. For most of these people this is their livelihood. Selling postcards or bracelets that they bought from some artist to tourists. And I'm not contributing to thier income monetarily so I try to contribute through conversation. Most are quite good a English. I wish I knew Burmese!! It's so weird that I know nothing. It feels so disrespectful! I don't like it at all. But there's only so much you can do in two weeks. So I wondered around the market and talked to people and walked to a train station and checked that out and just kind of experienced the culture for a bit. Quite nice :) this is the type of firsthand experience you want when you come to a new country. So wonderful :) started to poor and we all for soaked lol I read a lot today and finished my book. Loved it! Might read it again. If not I'll for sure go through it again. Didn't go out or get dinner tonight. I guess I'm just a little tired. But I'm excited for breakfast! Lol more lectures and many learning experiences tomorrow :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment